Bethany Brookshire, Ph.D.
Science Education Writer, Science News
I am an award-winning science writer with outstanding writing and speaking skills and a prolific and popular voice on social media. I am highly organized and driven to produce high-quality, accurate work that informs and educates the public on science news and issues in the scientific community.
Science Writing, Blogging, and Social Media
Science News, The Society for Science and the Public, October 2013-present
- Author of the blog “Scicurious,” which takes “a peek behind the science curtain” with in-depth coverage of physiology, pharmacology and issues in the world of scientific research.
- Author and creator of the science education blog and video series “Eureka! Lab,” a science education initiative that designs and carries out science projects to motivate middle school students.
- Web producer, Science News for Students.
- Social media manager, Science News for Students, grew Facebook page to more than 1 million likes in 2015.
Personal Twitter “@scicurious”. ~47,000 followers.
- Editor of Science Blogging: The Essential Guide, Yale University Press, March 1, 2016.
- Editor of The Open Laboratory: The Best of Science Blogging 2009 Blogging Anthology.
- Chapter author in The Open Laboratory Anthology (2009, 2010, 2011).
Contributions to The Guardian, Slate, Scientific American, and Discover, 2013.
Author of the blog “Neurotic Physiology” at Scientopia Blogs, 2010-2014
Scientopia Blogs, LLC, Co-founder, 2010-2014. Recruited talent and managed the blogging community.
Under contract with Burness Communications, 2013.
- The Presidential Commission on the Study of Bioethical Issues, Meetings 13-15, 2013. http://blog.bioethics.gov/
- Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, 2013.
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, 2013.
Author of the blog “The Scicurious Brain” at Scientific American Blogs, July 2011-October 2013.
“Science for the People” – A weekly radio show and podcast that covers the intersection of science and society.
- Regular contributor, 2010-present. Co-host February, 2016-present.
WHYY Philadelphia “The Pulse” with Maiken Scott. Regular Contributor.
February 8, 2015. CBC “The Sunday Edition” with Michael Enright. “Dopamine – the addiction chemical.”
December 1, 2014. The Story Collider. “The Perfect Mentor.”
Awards, Grants and Fellowships (selected)
- Marine Biological Laboratory Logan Science Journalism Fellow, Environmental Hands-On Course, selected fellow for Alaska Field Experience, 2016.
- The Sloan Foundation, 2014, for Science Blogging: The Essential Guide.
- National Association of Science Writers IDEA Grant, 2014, for Science Blogging: The Essential Guide.
- 2014 Women in Science Writing Summit Fellowship Recipient, Boston, MA, June, 2014
- 2012 Winner of Society for Neuroscience Next Generation Award, Postdoctoral level.
Frequent presentations, including the World Conference of Science Journalists (2015), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2013, 2016), the National Association of Science Writers (2015) and Dragon*Con (2015, invited 2016).
Ph.D., Physiology and Pharmacology, 2010 | Wake Forest University School of Medicine
B.S., Biology, B.A., Philosophy, 2004 | College of William and Mary in Virginia